Raw Organic Kosher Gluten-Free Vegan Superfoods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dairy is a no no, but you say Powdered Whey is OK?
janieruth Offline

Dairy is a no no, but you say Powdered Whey is OK?
I note that you say in one of your blogs that Powdered Whey is a good source of protein. Does the body use this part of milk in a different way than liquid or fresh milk?
I am confused. Also, I have read other places that certain forms of milk products are OK, such as Greek Yogurt, some cheese, etc. just not actual milk. HELP me figure this out please!Angel
03-26-2014 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andrea Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Dairy is a no no, but you say Powdered Whey is OK?
Hi janieruth

I was trying to find the post you are referring to and the only one I can find is the post I wrote about glutathione. Was there another?

Whey protein was on my doctor's list of ways to raise glutathione but it's not something I advocate. First of all, there are much better ways of raising glutathione. Second, I actually do not advocate the use of whey protein. Please see this Mayo Clinic article for more info. I've also read that a lot of whey protein powder is contaminated.

The dairy issue really depends on your goals. To be truly casein-free you won't be consuming any milk products. Some forms have less casein, but if you really want to be casein-free you will switch to dairy alternatives like almond milk, coconut yogurt, etc.

I hope that answered your questions but please let me know if you have any more! Shy

~ Community Manager ~
Founder of MTHFRLiving.com and the MTHFRLiving.com Community Forums
03-27-2014 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
janieruth Offline

Yes, the glutathione entry was the one I saw. Coconut yogurt, almond yogurt have some additives that I am unsure about using. I have looked and found a way to try making my own almond milk yogurt, but, I will have to first make the almond milk, not a biggie, just need to find the time.

The whey I have used is from grass fed cows and cold processed. I am in pain at all times and the dairy is the thing I haven't yet removed from my diet. I subscribe to Dr. Mercola's newsletter and use some of his supplements including the whey I mentioned above.

I have seen other protein supplements listed which do not contain either soy or whey. Do you have a favorite that you use. I would use the unflavored type.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, thanks, Jane

PS, because I have diabetes that is difficult to control I am on a very restricted carb diet. Coconut and Almond yogurts do not have much or any protein. That is why I have not used them and would like to supplement with a Protein source. Jane Blush
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 12:59 PM by janieruth.)
03-27-2014 12:56 PM
Andrea Offline
Super Moderator

I know what you mean about the additives - I have to look very hard for ones without carrageenan and too many other things.

I completely understand your frustration! Please note that not everyone has to follow a gluten-free, casein-free diet. These things don't affect everyone. I have to admit that I am more concerned with gluten but very occasionally I will have cheese when I need protein and there is nothing else available. I have not noticed as much of a problem with these foods, even after eliminating them. I am concerned with the effects of the large proteins on the gut and I try to avoid them as much as possible, but GFCF is not "mandatory" for people with MTHFR. I just notice that a lot of people are trying to follow this diet so that's why I focus on these recipes.

I don't use protein supplements so I'm afraid I cannot assist in that area. Sounds like you have a very good quality form that you use and I do trust Dr. Mercola so I think you are fine.

Let me know if I can help with anything else =)

~ Community Manager ~
Founder of MTHFRLiving.com and the MTHFRLiving.com Community Forums
03-27-2014 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Danielle Offline

A protein (powder) I might suggest, since I've not seen it mentioned is Hemp. I prefer the taste of the hearts as opposed to the powder form. Hemp is regarded as a perfect protein. It is of course dairy, egg, soy, gluten, sugar and corn free.
07-23-2015 06:15 PM