Raw Organic Kosher Gluten-Free Vegan Superfoods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hair loss
TammyT Offline

Hair loss
Hi there I am compound heterozygous c677 & 1298 Dx in feb. I also have hypothyroidism last TSH was 3. Something ( sorry brain fog can't remember) I take 175 mcg of Synthyroid I have noticed for the past 6 months my hair has really gotten thin . My TSH was .9 in. March then went to 3.... My PCP said I was taken to much b12 (I was taking 5000 mcg methylcobalimine sublingual) changed my meds to Mentanx 2 caps a day. I am thinking I should call and get an order to have my thyroid checked to see if it is thinning out my hair but not sure it isn't something else . Has anyone else had a problem with hair coming out. I saw on dr oz that low zinc can cause thinking hair. Any information would be great. Thanks!! Smile
07-20-2014 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andrea Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Hair loss
Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss. Have you had your Free T3 and Free T4 checked? With a TSH of 3 I expect that you have at least low T3 but TSH is not a good indicator of thyroid function as it is a pituitary hormone. I would definitely have those two checked, along with a thyroid antibody panel to give you a clearer picture. Please feel free to post your test results here for interpretation.

~ Community Manager ~
Founder of MTHFRLiving.com and the MTHFRLiving.com Community Forums
07-24-2014 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TammyT Offline

Hi Andrea,
My endocrinologist refuses to order the tests because she says my TSH is fine. I have discussed w/my PCP this week and he is going to check them for me and take over managing my thyroid. I do have a question for you. With MTHFR isn't there some problem with seizure meds. My dr wants me to try neurontin for my Fibro & RLS symptoms and a long Topamax for preventive migraine. Since I have some hypo intensities in my white matter and had a mini stroke in February, I can't take triptans for my migraines because it could cause a major stroke. My question is isn't there something about how we process anticonvulsants w/our MTHFR? Do you know anything about this? I had a terrible reaction to Lyrica And I know it is like neurontin and. I am a little nervous.

I did get some good news at my appt this week. Since Feb when I was Dx with elevated homocysteine and MTHFR after the mini stroke and started taking my folate, B-6, B-12 my homocysteine has dropped 12 points and is now WNL. Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 06:21 AM by Andrea.)
07-31-2014 06:00 AM
Andrea Offline
Super Moderator

Great news on the homocysteine!

As for the seizure medication, yes, I have seen this in a few places but I don't know the details on why you shouldn't take them. Some could be folate antagonists...you might want to do a search around online for this specific drug and see what comes up anecdotally. I looked around briefly and saw that some people have had adverse reactions but it doesn't say why and, unfortunately, I don't know enough about these different drugs to comment.

~ Community Manager ~
Founder of MTHFRLiving.com and the MTHFRLiving.com Community Forums
07-31-2014 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TammyT Offline

Good morning Andrea,
Thank you for always anwering my questions. I'll keep you posted on my labs.
Have a good day! Smile

Andrea dateline='[url=tel:1406806515' Wrote:  1406806515[/url]']
Great news on the homocysteine!

As for the seizure medication, yes, I have seen this in a few places but I don't know the details on why you shouldn't take them. Some could be folate antagonists...you might want to do a search around online for this specific drug and see what comes up anecdotally. I looked around briefly and saw that some people have had adverse reactions but it doesn't say why and, unfortunately, I don't know enough about these different drugs to comment.
07-31-2014 08:16 AM
jimparson55 Offline

(07-20-2014 07:16 PM)TammyT Wrote:  Hi there I am compound heterozygous c677 & 1298 Dx in feb. I also have hypothyroidism last TSH was 3. Something ( sorry brain fog can't remember) I take 175 mcg of Synthyroid I have noticed for the past 6 months my hair gotten thin . My TSH was .9 in. March then went to 3.... My PCP said I was taken to much b12 (I was taking 5000 mcg methylcobalimine sublingual) changed my meds to Mentanx 2 caps a day. I am thinking I should call and get an order to have my thyroid checked to see if it is thinning out my hair but not sure it isn't something else . Has anyone else had a problem with hair coming out. I saw on dr oz that low zinc can cause thinking hair. Any information would be great. Thanks!! Smile

Every part of the body requires thyroid hormone for proper functioning, and that includes the hair follicles and . So thyroid is also the reason of hair loss problem. I know its feel terrible when Free T3 is low or even middle of the range..
There are many different thyroid medication options. Finding a doctor open the treatment options to find what is right for you is key.
01-17-2015 03:10 AM
TammyT Offline

Thank you Jim I was just dx with hashimotoes and working on adjusting my meds.

quote='jimparson55' pid='673' dateline='1421482226']
TammyT dateline='[url=tel:1405901786' Wrote:  1405901786[/url]']
Hi there I am compound heterozygous c677 & 1298 Dx in feb. I also have hypothyroidism last TSH was 3. Something ( sorry brain fog can't remember) I take 175 mcg of Synthyroid I have noticed for the past 6 months my hair gotten thin . My TSH was .9 in. March then went to 3.... My PCP said I was taken to much b12 (I was taking 5000 mcg methylcobalimine sublingual) changed my meds to Mentanx 2 caps a day. I am thinking I should call and get an order to have my thyroid checked to see if it is thinning out my hair but not sure it isn't something else . Has anyone else had a problem with hair coming out. I saw on dr oz that low zinc can cause thinking hair. Any information would be great. Thanks!! Smile

Every part of the body requires thyroid hormone for proper functioning, and that includes the hair follicles and . So thyroid is also the reason of hair loss problem. I know its feel terrible when Free T3 is low or even middle of the range..
There are many different thyroid medication options. Finding a doctor open the treatment options to find what is right for you is key.
[/quote]
01-17-2015 08:55 AM
dinesh016 Offline

(07-20-2014 07:16 PM)TammyT Wrote:  Hi there I am compound heterozygous c677 & 1298 Dx in feb. I also have hypothyroidism last TSH was 3. Something ( sorry brain fog can't remember) I take 175 mcg of Synthyroid I have noticed for the past 6 months my hair gotten thin . My TSH was .9 in. March then went to 3.... My PCP said I was taken to much b12 (I was taking 5000 mcg methylcobalimine sublingual) changed my meds to Mentanx 2 caps a day. I am thinking I should call and get an order to have my thyroid checked to see if it is thinning out my hair but not sure it isn't something else . Has anyone else had a problem with hair coming out. I saw on dr oz that low zinc can cause thinking hair. Any information would be great. Thanks!! Smile

Drink 10-12 glasses of water daily and have a high protein diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and dairy products. Since iron-deficiency anemia can also cause hair loss,make sure that you eat a well-balanced diet that includes a daily serving or two of iron-rich foods.
07-14-2016 11:56 PM
smithjohn Offline

(07-31-2014 06:00 AM)TammyT Wrote:  Hi Andrea,
My endocrinologist refuses to order the tests because she says my TSH is fine. I have discussed w/my PCP this week and he is going to check them for me and take over managing my thyroid. I do have a question for you. With MTHFR isn't there some problem with seizure meds. My dr wants me to try neurontin for my Fibro & RLS symptoms and a long Topamax for preventive migraine. Since I have some hypo intensities in my white matter and had a mini stroke in February, I can't take triptans for my migraines because it could cause a major stroke. My question is isn't there something about how we process anticonvulsants w/our MTHFR? Do you know anything about this? I had a terrible reaction to Lyrica And I know it is like neurontin and. I am a little nervous.

I did get some good news at my appt this week. Since Feb when I was Dx with elevated homocysteine and MTHFR after the mini stroke and started taking my folate, B-6, B-12 my homocysteine has dropped 12 points and is now WNL. Smile

We all lose some hair strands each day. So, it’s normal to see some hair coming off your scalp when you brush your hair daily. Normally we lose about 80-100 strands daily due to the end of life cycle of a hair strand. If that’s the matter, you don’t have to worry a lot. Just continue to have a stress-less healthy lifestyle including balanced diet. It’s when you see an abnormal loss of hair that you should start taking measures to stop this. There are many causes of hair loss.

Whatever the causes, you should try to eliminate them first and then resort to these home remedies for hair loss.
You may hair loss l due to some hormonal changes, unhealthy lifestyle, junk food devoid of nutritional value, stress, some medication, vitamins deficiency, thyroid problems, menopause etc.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 03:48 AM by smithjohn.)
07-15-2016 03:47 AM
connell Offline
Banned

thanks for the information provided by you.
(01-17-2015 08:55 AM)TammyT Wrote:  Thank you Jim I was just dx with hashimotoes and working on adjusting my meds.

quote='jimparson55' pid='673' dateline='1421482226']
TammyT dateline='[url=tel:1405901786' Wrote:  1405901786[/url]']
Hi there I am compound heterozygous c677 & 1298 Dx in feb. I also have hypothyroidism last TSH was 3. Something ( sorry brain fog can't remember) I take 175 mcg of Synthyroid I have noticed for the past 6 months my hair gotten thin . My TSH was .9 in. March then went to 3.... My PCP said I was taken to much b12 (I was taking 5000 mcg methylcobalimine sublingual) changed my meds to Mentanx 2 caps a day. I am thinking I should call and get an order to have my thyroid checked to see if it is thinning out my hair but not sure it isn't something else . Has anyone else had a problem with hair coming out. I saw on dr oz that low zinc can cause thinking hair. Any information would be great. Thanks!! Smile

There are many different thyroid medication options. Finding a doctor open the hair transplant treatment options to find what is right for you is key.
[/quote]
01-02-2018 02:31 AM