Raw Organic Kosher Gluten-Free Vegan Superfoods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MTHFR, high serum folate and what to do
jbrokeri Offline

MTHFR, high serum folate and what to do
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure where to begin with this so I'll try to keep it brief.

Being a bit of a hypochondriac, yesterday I stumbled on the study from last year which found a link between high folate and vitamin b12 in the blood and autism and immediately began to feel worried. I get tons of bloodwork done each year at our community health fair, looked back to last year's results and found I was tested for both. Results? Both levels were higher than the cutoffs in the study which found the risk of having a child with autism to be 17 TIMES what it is for women with normal levels. My serum folate level was so high it was simply listed as ">24".

At the time we were planning on TTC so I was taking a prenatal vitamin (with folic acid) already but wasn't yet pregnant. In trying to figure out why my Folate and B12 levels more than doubled in a year with no changes other than adding a vitamin, I Googled, found info on MTHFR, remembered I'd had 23andme genetic testing done, and lo and behold, I have a variant, heterozygous C677T.

Thankfully, we conceived easily on the first try, all ultrasounds indicate the baby is doing well at 32 weeks, and I've had an easy pregnancy and no issues in the past that I know of related to MTHFR. As far as how to proceed the next obvious step to me is to get my folate and b12 levels checked and to see if my OBGYN practice docs know anything about this, and switch to a prenatal vitamin with folate instead of folic acid. My primary fear is that I've been at levels damaging to my child this whole time, unbeknownst to me. Anyone have any experience with this stuff or ideas about what to do next?
01-23-2017 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply