• 1 Votes - 3 Average
QUESTION ON FOLATE FROM FOODS
Marios_1 Offline

QUESTION ON FOLATE FROM FOODS
[font=Helvetica,sans-serif]
Hello all !
[/font]
[font=Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/font][font=Helvetica,sans-serif] I am wondering if you can enlighten me by answering the following 3 questions:

- Can one with MTHFR gene mutation get 'well' using nutrition only or do you think that supplements are necessary?

- If someone has MTHFR gene mutation CAN HIS BODY METABOLIZE THE FOLATE FROM FOODS? As far as i have researched so far, folate from foods has to me metabolized again twice to become -5-methyl-folate, which is the form that contributes to methylation. So, in my view it might be possible that eating lots of leafy greens and beans and folate rich food may contribute to feeling worse or having more symptoms as the mutated gene will not be able to metabolize all this folate anyway . Is this true ?

- Can someone have aggravation of symptoms after using MTHF supplements like 5-methyl-folate? How could we know if this aggravation is a DETOX symptom OR a worsening due to OVER-METHYLATION???

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and I will anticipate your answers.
[/font]
10-22-2014 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andrea Offline
Super Moderator

RE: QUESTION ON FOLATE FROM FOODS
Thanks for these excellent questions - they are actually all questions that I have myself. I'm actually not a scientist or researcher into the biochemistry - these kinds of questions are probably better addressed to someone like Dr. Ben Lynch. But hopefully someone else can chime in and help you out.

~ Community Manager ~
Founder of MTHFRLiving.com and the MTHFRLiving.com Community Forums
10-23-2014 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kristin B Offline

RE: QUESTION ON FOLATE FROM FOODS
HI! I am brand new to the forum, having been diagnosed with the mutation a few months ago. It is so refreshing to hear that someone else has the same mental conflict that I do when it comes to Folate consumption, supplements, and concerns. I can see that you posted this four years ago, but I am hoping that you are still a visitor to the forum so that you might be able to share with me if any answers have surfaced regarding your questions from above. I would be much appreciative to hear what you may have learned since your inquiry.
Thank you, in advance, for your (potential) reply!

Kristin B
02-06-2018 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply