MTHFR Living Community Forums

Full Version: New to the Forum!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. My name is Virginia. I recently found out I have a homozygous 677T MTHFR gene in mid-October 2017. The tests were run after two miscarriages because I found out about blood clotting disorders being an issue with miscarriages; therefore, I suggested testing for them to my ObGYN. First embryo stopped growing at 8 weeks but miscarriage was documented at 12 weeks in Nov. 2014. Finally got pregnant again, in 2016 but miscarried at 6 weeks in late-Nov. 2016. Testing for MTHFR and FVL and others were done in Feb. 2017 by my request as I stated above. An accidental duplication of MTHFR was done in May 2017 as well. Both showed abnormal for 677T but doctor and nurse overlooked the result in March, May (through e-messaging) and July (face-to-face meeting), confirming three separate times I had all normal results. I stumbled upon the abnormal result in October 2017 after having a third miscarriage at 6 weeks Oct. 1 2017. My in laws wanted to see my e-portal of all my results and I saw my abnormal MTHFR result in addition to a clinical note stating 'all results are normal,' dated July 2017 by my doctor with the abnormal results clearly listed in bold font at the bottom of the note. I confronted them about this at a follow up appointment Oct. 19 2017 and she confirmed I have this hereditary thromophelia but minimized it throughout the appointment, quoting 2013 ACOG guidelines. I even corrected her when she stated to me, 'increase your folic acid' and I retorted to her, "you mean folate and vitamin B's, correct?" Anyway, needless to say I am upset and curious if my third miscarriage could have been prevented and after reading numerous blogs, research studies and articles this past weekend, I now see the steps I have to take in the future. I wish I had this information back in March 2017. So I am new to your site and it is very informative. I will wait to see if I get pregnant with this new information on what supplements to take, as posted on your forum. They are ordered and in the mail. I may use Lovenox as well. I am ranting because I feel unsupported and think I am dealing with a doctor who is lying to me to save her butt or clearly uneducated in the area. This information is very helpful. I am hoping no damage has been done to me in that I have been taking prenatal vitamins for 4 years with extra folate in the last several months. I have stopped now and try to eat a very healthy, folate rich diet, but again not sure if damage has been done. I am now focused on taking the correct supplements. Thanks to this site, I want to have my husband tested for thromophelias as well. Any advice or words of consolation are appreciated. Thank you.
I'm so sorry for your loss. My advice is to find an OB/GYN who is familiar with these issues. Often the high risk/MFM doctors are aware, though you may still have to get someone else to support you on the MTHFR stuff. Get the Reproductive Health Thrombophilia panel from LabCorp (they have another Thrombophilia risk panel that includes MTHFR). You will need to be under a doctor's care - you can't just take Lovenox on your own, and they may or may not decide that you need it.

Wait three months at least after making your dietary changes before getting pregnant again. It takes at least that long for your eggs to improve from those changes. Good luck! There is a doctor list link on the homepage of MTHFRLiving.com
Reference URL's